Saturday 18 January 2014

My thoughts on last weekend

This is a very difficult post to write. You see in meerkat society everyone is pretty equal and we are all there to help each other. This is probably why I am such a sociable runner, chatting to people and turning to lend support to those who are struggling. Always smiling at people who notice me and really just loving being out amongst people and not having to be scared of birds of prey (who are dicks).

So yes last weekend.

Well Saturday started well enough. Chris, his friend from work Sharry and myself went up to the stunning Bluebell hill picnic site for a quick 3km run around the rolling hills. As ever I was padding way out in front for most of the run with my nice light barefoot running style. Our plan was for Chris and Sharry to test their new trail shoes before we went down to the river to take part in the Maidstone Parkrun.

Now this is my first issue with the weekend. I am a runner, I have entered events before and when we pay for me to enter there is no problem that I am a meerkat, on other events I run along side the normal runners and no one cares. The Parkrun is a free event you just have to register online to have a barcode. Which I did!
 
There you can see I have my Parkrun barcode!
 
The rest of the run was amazing, friendly and fun and I was really impressed to see so many youngsters out and running. When I finished though, why could I not have a time? Why is it because I am a meerkat I am victimised and discriminated against and can't get a finishers time. That means now on my Parkrun record I have never run a 5k yet! Which is annoying as I felt I ran a very good 5k time - surely getting close to the record for meerkat athletes!
 

 
Here I am recovering after the Parkrun, replenishing fluids and calming down!
 
The second run we did at the weekend was a 10k over Bromley (wherever that is) and it was a 3 lap of an athletic track followed by 4 laps of a parkland.
 
Brilliant nice and simple course, how can people not count to 3 though? Chris and I were heading around the second lap of 3 and some people were already running off to go off to the park.
 
NO WAY! I was insenced, I knew some people had passed us on the track but it wasn't half the bloody field. Cheating sods!
 
What were they getting out of it? Why were they bothering to be here if they weren't going to run the full course, how is that a marker to lay down or a reflection of their actual ability? Where is the Corinthian spirit of sport?
 
I suppose my anger relates to where I am from. In Africa and in the wilds you either survive or die. There is no short cut and not cheating. Either you can run or you can't. Now admittedly I was not there very long before I journeyed to England (I was not born in captivity you know) but it leaves an impact. Especially when I see people like me who are still there running for survival - sprinters though but still my point stands.
 
Anyway last weekend left a bad taste in the mouth when it came to running and competitions. After all isn't this a hobby, something to pass the time with?
 
I have run bits and bobs this week - way more than Chris who has been doing 'work' which looks just like 'not sleeping and getting stressed' and who is now 'ill' which I am sure is a lie.
 
Anyways we have some big events coming up but give me trails! I want to see mountains again Galdalf (go to 2:20).
 
Love
 
Nick the Meerkat
 


No comments:

Post a Comment